Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Happy Star Wars Day!

So, my wife made the mistake of sending me an email about something she found on Writer's Almanac (you have to scroll down because it's the last thing on the page). Apparently May 4th is Star Wars Day! (except for in the city of Los Angeles, where it is May 25th, the day A New Hope premiered).

What I read that, I knew I had to post about it! You can read the official wookieepedia article here. Now on to my fanboyness!

I love Star Wars! And I mean the real Star Wars; back when it was just 3 awesome movies, a few computer games, and some really fun novels! Not to mention action figures. I was never much of a collector, but the Star Wars trilogy has held the top three positions on my list of favorite movies ever since I was about four years old.

I always like Han Solo the best (Luke annoyed me too much, except in Return of the Jedi), though I liked the X-wing a lot better then the Millennium Falcon. (When I was a kid, I would sit on my bed and pretend it was an X-wing and my bear was R2-D2.) I also had a habit of making swords out of cardboard or wood...half the time they were lightsabers!

So, to sum up, despite his recent fall from greatness (beginning with Episode 1), I have to thank George Lucas for going out on a limb back in the '70s and making the films he wanted to make. They've been a huge part of my life ever since I was born. And to celebrate Star Wars Day, I'm going to watch one of them after I get home tonight. May the Fourth be with you! (I didn't make that up, so don't judge me)

OH! I almost forgot: Michelle Merrill is doing a critique give-away over at her blog. She also has a great post about Comments and Track Changes in Microsoft Word.

8 comments:

  1. I didn't realize it at the time, but Star Wars initiated a deep love of science fiction for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, me too! No question about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel completely out of the loop. I've never seen one Star Wars movie, not one. Or Star Trek, or anything at all to do with space adventure. I just haven't been able to do it. I always feel like I'll be overwhelmed with things flying randomly around everywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I never watched Star Wars until I was married. (I know. I know.) I love it now. Han Solo is definitely my favorite. My 6 year old LOVES Luke. He wants to be a jedi too! ;) And for the record, I love the older movies. The new ones aren't as good in my opinion. And that third one I'm not letting my son watch for quite a while!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is!! MAY the FOURTH be with you! haha!! I laugh every year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same to you, sir. I just might do a little Clone Wars watching with my son tonight. Which episodes? That's the hard part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HaHa, I love that - May the fourth be with you -
    I remember when I saw the first Star Wars movie. For several nights after, me and my sisters and brother would lie in the back of my dad's pickup, staring at the stars and talking about it, and hoping we'd see something exciting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, Reece, sorry it took me so long to get over here. Great post. Thanks for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete